Mathematics at OSLS is an exciting, hands-on programme that builds knowledge, understanding, mathematical thinking, problem-solving skills and reasoning abilities across the year levels. Mathematics is a subject that takes a high priority in the curriculum and is taught on a daily basis in all classes.
All classroom teachers follow the Mathematics curriculum from ACARA (the Australian Curriculum Assessment and Reporting Authority) within a PYP framework and cover the following areas while also developing the capacity for logical thinking and proficiency:
- Number and Algebra - counting, place value, addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, decimals, money and patterning.
- Measurement and Geometry - length, area, perimeter, angles, time, mass, volume and capacity. 2D and 3D shapes, location and transformation, arrangement and symmetry.
- Statistics and Probability – Understanding chance and collecting, analysing and displaying data.
The teaching staff at Our Saviour continually update their knowledge and skills by keeping abreast of current learning theories and new technologies. They plan, design and organize their Mathematics lessons to meet the differing needs of their students and they frequently assess their students’ progress and understandings and regularly offer the opportunity to discuss/report the results to parents and caregivers.
In the classroom in a Mathematics lesson you may see:
- Students happily engaged in hands-on activities.
- Students using a variety of materials and technology
- Students writing about their Mathematics and sharing their ideas.
- Students working independently or collaboratively in pairs and small groups.
- Students developing their knowledge by practising fundamental skills and solving everyday mathematical problems
- Teachers demonstrating specific information and skills.
- Teachers interacting with students, questioning and guiding them in their tasks.
In Mathematics at Our Saviour, we aim high and support our students to be enthusiastic, motivated, engaged, challenged and successful.